T176 Transmission

Hey guys,
Let me start by saying that I am new to jeep so please forgive the newbie questions.
I was wondering how to indentify the transmission in my jeep? I understand in 83 there were 3 different options? Could be wrong on that. Just looking for some basics on what to look at, or dimmensions, or maybe markings in the case? Just so I know what to shop around for. Also on the same note, would now be a good time to upgrade? I would rather get the rig on the road for now and spend my money on the body work and then focus on the drivetrain.
Thanks for all your help,
Shaun
T176 Transmission

T176 Transmission For Sale

TransmissionTransmission

T176 Transmission Reviews

I have searched the forum and am finding two different thoughts regarding the transmission gear oil one should be using for a T176. I bought GL5 for the Dana 300 and planned on using it for the T176 transmission as well since Novac says that is what to use, but I have also read that GL4 is better for the yellow metal in the case. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the T-176 top, but there is usually a small parts kit for these transmissions that may be what you need. If you need more help than the factory manual provides, you could try to source the Tremec T-176 transmission service manual, which I presume exists. Try 'The Gearbox' - they sell on eBay.